Monday 22 September 2008

Tree Explosion

This is one of the "explosion cards" I demonstrated at the Demo Training Day on Saturday. This particular card is square (approximately 4" x 4" when closed), although I also demonstrated a means of extending the basic width of the card to 6" to make it a perfect fit for a standard SU (C6 size envelope). I'll post the other cards over the course of the week. Please get in touch if you need instructions.

I've used the Lovely as a Tree stamp set for this card. The base card is Whisper White cardstock and it is 4" x 12", which means you'll be able to make three cards from one sheet of 12" x 12" cardstock. Whisper White cardstock is ideal, as it's easy to fold. I've added two strips of Chocolate Chip textured cardstock down the sides of the end panels.

I've stamped the end panels with the acorn and leaf stamp from the stamp set using Chocolate Chip ink. It was supposed to be quite heavily stamped (and the images a bit obscured) to give some balance to the card when it is open (bearing in mind that I've left the white sections between the front panel and the end panels unstamped). I've used some gingham ribbon and those large eyelets again.
The central tree image was stamped on Naturals Ivory cardstock and mounted on Chocolate Chip textured cardstock. I've used Earth Elements markers to colour the tree before stamping. I coloured the trunk of the tree and part of the lower branches using Chocolate Chip. Thereafter, I coloured the whole upper portion of the tree with the Old Olive marker and then "thumped" the Old Olive portion with the Garden Green marker and some more Chocolate Chip (to give some depth and an illusion of additional branches peeking through the leaves). The "thumping" technique involves taking the marker and holding it on its side and tapping randomly against the pre-coloured section - it's really easy and effective. Lastly, I spritzed the tree with water and then used an aqua painter brush to colour the trunk slightly and to draw some shadows under the tree. The Naturals Ivory cardstock is ideal for use with water. (Whisper White cardstock is brilliant for stamping - the best cardstock I've ever used - but not ideal with water as it's a bit too smooth and has a slight sheen... the water runs off!).

3 comments:

Beryl K said...

Whilst blog hopping I cam across your blog, Some really great cards
thanks for sharing
Beryl x

Dawn said...

Gorgeous card Elaine, I really loved your demo, you made it look so easy.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Elaine!!
I would have loved to see you demoing irl!