Monday 24 March 2008

The Eagles

We drove to London at 5am yesterday and got back this evening. It was a pilgrimage of sorts... a two day trek for the sole purpose of seeing The Eagles performing at the 02 arena in London for 2.5 hours! It was well worth the trip. I've seen them twice at Hampden stadium in Glasgow, but they have no concerts scheduled for the UK other than six nights at the 02... so I thought I'd make the effort. They were brilliant, as always. They sound as good today as (or better than) they did 30 years ago. We had excellent seats in the floor seating block which was directly in front of the stage. A brilliant way to spend Easter! My only regret is that my dad couldn't be with me this time, as they were his favourite band and he would have loved their new Long Road Out of Eden album.

A photo (taken just before the concert started) showing how near we were to the stage...

I hadn't been to the 02 (the old milleniuim dome) before, but I think it's brilliant as a music venue, with decent places to eat and lots of funky lighting. I hope to make a return visit in future.


We stayed at the Greenwich Holiday Inn Express, purely because it was a 10 minute walk from the venue (which meant we wouldn't need to take the car along). We left at 9am this morning, so it was a bit of a slog! The traffic going south seemed much worse than the traffic travelling north, so the fact that we weren't stuck in gridlocked traffic was a bonus.

The drive wasn't too bad, but we're shattered this evening. There was a fair bit of snow around the lake district on the way down, and snow flurries (with the odd "almost a blizzard" situation) at various locations on the way back.

No comments: