Tuesday 1 April 2008

Cake!

I love this little fairy cake stamp from the Happy Day stamp set (which forms part of the Happy Day Simply Sent kit). I thought I'd try using it with some of the Soft Subtles range and I like the end product even more than I thought I would.

I'm also a huge fan of chipboard and I love the SU "On Board" chipboard, particularly the Blossoms and Basics set. The set is good value, in my view, as there are six 22.9 cm x 22.9 cm sheets in the set for £12.95; I know I've bought packs including six or ten small chipboard shapes for £2 or £3 in the past. I coloured the piece of chipboard with a thin wash using an Old Olive Watercolour Wonder Crayon; the net effect gives a colour more akin to Mellow Moss, which co-ordinates well with the other colours used in the card.

The base card is Pale Plum (half of an A4 sheet folded in half), with a layer of Barely Banana (stamped with the Paisley background stamp using Pale Plum ink) adhered to the left hand side. There's a thin strip (approximately 2cms) of Perfect Plum card on top of that and I've used my paper piercing tool to pierce holes on each side of the Perfect Plum strip.

I stamped the cake with Black Stazon on Whisper White cardstock and, after colouring it with Soft Subtles Watercolour Wonder Crayons, I punched the image with the scallop punch. I used the scallop punch as I think it makes it easier to adhere the punched image to the piece of chipboard - I tend to use the "petals" from the scallop as some extra cardstock to use as a base for for glue. Have a look at the photos below. (You could punch a circle instead, but the scallop petals are handy to use for glue application; alternatively, you could cut a rough circle slightly smaller than the chipboard scallop, but I'm too lazy!).



I've used Dazzling Diamonds glitter (adhered with a glue pen) around the chipboard scallop and I've added some dots on the "petals". The white flower and simulated pearl are from the SU Pretties kit and the ribbon is Elegant Eggplant. I've stamped "happy day" using Pale Plum ink in the lower right hand corner of the base card; it gives a pale watermark effect if you use the same colour of ink/cardstock.

All products by Stampin' Up!


No comments: